Thursday, September 24, 2009

My Name

My name is interesting, I like it one day then don't the next. I wake up and sometimes I feel strong, like my name, and other mornings I wake up too tired to carry on. Sometimes having a name like Cassidy comes in handy; none of my friends have ever had the same name as me. Most of the time people mispronounce my name as Cassilee, Casely or Catherine.

My name is Gaelic and means cute, curly and sweet. For the most part my name suits me but it has taken a while for me to grow into it. Each year my liking for the name Cassidy increases, but again, it took me a while to appreciate how unique and bold it is.

When a lot of people hear my name, they think of someone who is funny, spunky, and determined, which sounds almost exactly like me. I'm glad that my parents seem to pick suitable names!

My parents were going to name me Reese (Rhys) wether I was a boy or a girl. My maternal grandma is welsh and they wanted to choose a name, something to reflect that heritage. When I arrived, my dad couldn't follow through and name me Reese because my dad knew a man that was quirky, energetic, and very short. He thought that naming me Reese would be a disgrace to me because every time he would call my name, he would think of the goofy guy. My mom's great aunt Cassie happened to be visiting at the time, and my parents thought that she was one of the nicest person that they had ever met. She would wake up happy and was never EVER negative. She was always positive, no matter the situation, and she was a great traveller too. They hoped that I would inherit her traits. Instead of copying her name, they named me Cassidy, because they wanted me to have my own identity.

Cassidy, a name that is truly beautiful and exotic. When you say it right, it sounds like the water rushing past jagged rocks, it sounds like the puddle of gold at your feet, it sounds like an ancient name, one that people in medieval times used to name their children. Cassidy. So beautiful.

I chose the picture above because to me, my name sounds like a waterfall. It is from http://www.travelthecanyon.com/beautifulcanyonwaterfalls.html
The picture is really pretty, and the water looks silvery. Perfect description of my name.

No comments:

Post a Comment